Emma is well known for being focussed on delivering exceptional client service and a high quality work product. Described by a client as “At the top of her game – she is my go-to for the right advice”, Emma is renowned for her quick, commercial response and her unwavering commitment to clients.
Emma’s practice incorporates high profile clients from the entertainment, travel, retail, software, energy, engineering, security, banking, media, telecoms, oil and sport industries amongst others.
Emma has extensive experience of brand selection, re-branding, portfolio management, domain name disputes, IP due diligence, enforcement and advisory work for clients. Much of her work involves disputes and she handles UKIPO cases up to the Appointed Person. She is also experienced in supporting clients and working as part of a legal team with solicitors and counsel in High Court proceedings. She has a significant background in running multiple national and international Trade Mark and domain name infringement cases and sizeable international brand management programmes.
From 1996 until 31 December 2020 Emma built up significant experience in handling EUIPO prosecution and disputes cases across a wide range of industries.
She is well used to running cases before foreign registries and courts using local trusted attorneys with whom she, and the firm, have long standing relationships. Emma has particular experience in conducting matters in the USA and in Asia, where she has helped the firm build a trade mark practice in India. Emma is chair of the firm’s India practice group. Our India practice comprises very well-known Indian and international brands and has grown significantly over the years. Emma frequently visits India and has close ties to other markets in Asia including Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, Malaysia and Indonesia.
Emma has been deeply involved with INTA for a number of years and is a former chair of INTA’s influential Non-traditional Trade Marks Committee. She is a regular speaker at the American Bar Association (ABA) IPL Spring meetings (2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019); she spoke at IPIC conference in Toronto Canada in October 2017, and she was invited to speak at APAA in Delhi in November 2018. She is regular traveler to North America and Asia.
Emma also undertakes pro bono work for various charities.
- ABA: Vice Chair of the International Trademark Treaties and Law Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law, 2018-2021
- INTA: 2018-2019 Famous and Well-Known Marks Committee. 2016-2017 Chair of The Non-traditional Trade Marks Committee; 2014-2015 Subcommittee Chair of European and Central Asian Non-traditional Trade Marks Committee, Member of European Global Advisory Council, Member of Organising Committee for INTA’s Indian Meeting 2015; 2013-2014 Member of European and Central Asian Non-traditional Trade Marks Committee
- The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Women in the City
- Chartered Trade Mark Attorney
- LLM, King’s College London
- MA (Hons) Jurisprudence, University of Oxford
- Brand selection
- Disputes and dispute resolution
- Domain name disputes
- Enforcement and advisory work
- IP due diligence
- Litigation support
- Portfolio management
8 Salisbury Square